Friday, February 18, 2011

Recipe: Glazed Lemon Cookies

Long time no post, eh friends? I know. Apparently I drop off the face of the earth when I have a new baby!

I have been trying to find my way back to the blogosphere, but didn't want to jump in without something worth sharing...so you can believe me when I say this recipe is worth trying! Oh baby, these cookies are to die for. I had to send half a batch to work with my husband just to get them out of the house, and when his coworkers started requesting the recipe I said they'd have to wait for me to post it here!

Well, I don't know where you are but winter has finally found its way into my city. All this snow/rain/overcast business is making me crave warm weather. And what better way to get my summery fix in the middle of a snow storm than to bake up a lemony treat?

Behold, your new favorite summery cookie:

Glazed Lemon Cookies




Ingredients:
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 T lemon zest
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
1 C sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For Glaze:
2 C powdered sugar
2 T lemon zest
1/3 C fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

1. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Add egg, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until combined. Set mixer to low and add flour mixture.

2. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheet, about 1" apart. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until edges are golden. Do not overcook. Let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool.

3. Prepare the glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth.

4. Spread the lemon glaze on the cookies and leave until set (about 1 hour). Enjoy!

Be warned: they are very sugary. "Glazed" is a not-so-subtle code word for hyper fest. No matter how sweetly your children beg, do not pass these scrumptious delights out before bedtime. Don't do it. I know you value your sleep.


And there you have it! I hope you LOVE the cookies, all you loyal readers, and be sure to let us know what you think.

Happy to be back in business!


No comments: